Lights in the Distance

Observations and musings regarding new mommyhood and life in general.

Monday, February 28, 2005

Prayers Needed

As an avowed atheist, I am not prone to believing in the power of prayer, and in some sense, I am envious of those who can derive comfort from religion. It just isn't something that works for me personally. To believe that there is a being, someone or something controlling our fate, and that everything in life is predestined is a powerful concept, one that I find very difficult to accept. What I can accept is that there are people who believe in this idea, and I respect our differences. When religion and prayer are used to further causes that are noble and good, the spiritual aspects of my personality kick in, and I want to believe that perhaps somehow, it can make a difference. It is for this reason that I feel the need to turn to whoever is reading this, and ask for prayers, positive vibes, or whatever positive spiritual channeling that anyone can offer.

Several weeks ago, the husband of one of my closest friends fell ill and was taken to the hospital suffering from what they thought was dehydration. It turned out that his liver was damaged, and following the onset of acute liver failure, he underwent a liver transplant. During the course of the surgery, he suffered a heart attack and a series of strokes that have profoundly damaged his brain. His doctors have declared that he is awake, but completely unresponsive, and has little chance of recovery. The fact that he survived the transplant surgery is a miracle in itself, and I guess that I am really just hoping for another miracle. He has surprised the doctors once, and even though the chances are slim, I am hoping that he can somehow do it again. As long as they haven't said that there is no chance, I am not prepared to give up my last shred of hope for some sort of recovery, even if it isn't complete.

My friend is a wonderful, giving, strong person, and her husband is a terrific young man in his early thirties. Their life was on a good track before everything was suddenly blown completely apart by this horrible nightmare. She and I are now living on different continents, and it breaks my heart that I cannot be there in person to help her through this, as she has helped me through some of the darkest days of my life. I feel so terribly helpless, though probably not nearly as helpless as she does as she tries to bring her husband back to her, knowing that despite her best efforts, she may lose the person she loves above all others.

So, I am humbly asking all who read this, please pray, or do whatever it is that you do when you desperately need a miracle. Maybe together, we can all make a difference. Thank you.
|

5 Comments:

  • At 1:28 PM, February 28, 2005, Blogger Debbie said…

    I'm sending readers of Penguin-lovin' TrollMamma to your latest post - you explained it far better than I ever could.

    My thoughts and prayers are with her. Pleae pass them on for me.

     
  • At 2:48 PM, February 28, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    We are all aware of situations where there was little or, it seemed, no hope, and a miracle did happen. Where there is little hope, we all hope for the miracle for your friend and her husband.

     
  • At 1:44 PM, March 03, 2005, Blogger Lioness said…

    Came via Not a Fish. I will be praying for him, and her, and you.

     
  • At 4:36 AM, April 18, 2005, Blogger sirbarrett said…

    I believe everyone believes in something. We all have something from which we gather a sense of strength. Anyway, I think prayer can be done without having religious ties. It is a focussed attention. I'll pray for hope for you and your relations in their time of suffering.

     
  • At 3:21 PM, June 10, 2005, Blogger Lioness said…

    I was wondering how your friend's husband is. I hope a miracle happened.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home