Lights in the Distance

Observations and musings regarding new mommyhood and life in general.

Wednesday, July 14, 2004

Life After Birth...

I am amazed at how much smaller my world seems to have gotten since the birth of my son nearly seven weeks ago. Whereas before, even though I was pretty much stuck at home because the pregnancy was considered high risk, I at least knew what was going on in the world, news freak that I am. Now, not only am I borderline clueless about current global and local events, I'm discovering that I'm just too busy and too tired to really give a damn. Obviously, my priorities have completely shifted, and instead of trolling the Internet for hours on end reading the news and other Blogs, I'm spending hours doing laundry and trying to elicit smiles from the wee one, who has yet to demonstrate whether or not he's inherited my family's sense of humor.

My parents have been and gone, and we have more or less developed some semblance of a routine, which has proved to be a challenge, for the kid has clearly not read any of the baby books that would let him know what he's supposed to be doing at this stage of his life. For the record, neither have I, because I'm just too busy trying to be entertaining. It seems that he has decided to forgo the more popular route of taking long, leisurely naps between feeds, and instead has chosen to take 7-12 minute catnaps on and off throughout the day, usually while feeding, and usually waking up just as I try to put him down. Having achieved what appears to be deep slumber for at least five minutes from the moment his eyes closed during feeding time, and remaining asleep during my careful patter across the room to his bed, I put him down gently and look down on him fondly, only to find him looking back up at me, eyes open wide and innocent, letting me know that he's once again refreshed and ready for action. He's chosen the long, leisurely nap route today, which is how I've been able to get quite a bit done around the house today, as well as finally add a new Blog entry.

I suppose I could go on endlessly about the little guy, but I'll spare you. I promised myself that I wouldn't become one of those people who can't stop talking about their children, and I think I'm coming dangerously close to crossing that line. Besides, he's blessed us with a long nap day today, and I've got to go take full advantage before he changes his mind...
|

1 Comments:

  • At 5:46 PM, July 17, 2007, Blogger בית אבי said…

    Mazel Tov. Your life will now change forever but its worth every minute. Cherish every second with him because before you know it he'll be all grown up.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home